Apple Store in Amsterdam Evacuated, Likely After iPad Battery Overheated

Dutch media is reporting that an Apple Store at Leidseplein in Amsterdam ^(https://www.apple.com/nl/retail/amsterdam/) was once in short evacuated nowadays, most likely after an iPad battery overheated.

Image Credit: AS Media


At 2:20 p.m. native time on Sunday afternoon, the Amsterdam fireplace division tweeted that crews had been at the scene. The tweet added that there was once “no smoke” on the retailer, however “three folks with respiring issues.”

A spokesperson for the fireplace division mentioned “there’s most probably a leaking battery pack,” in keeping with Dutch broadcaster AT5 ^(https://www.at5.nl/artikelen/185516/drie-mensen-onwel-door-gexplodeerde-ipad-in-apple-store) and NH Nieuws ^(https://www.nhnieuws.nl/nieuws/229895/Meerdere-mensen-onwel-bij-iPad-explosie-in-Apple-Store). The incident was once additionally reported via Dutch weblog iCulture ^(https://www.iculture.nl/nieuws/apple-store-amsterdam-ontruimd-ontplofte-ipad/), which alerted us to the tale.

Employees instantly positioned the iPad in a container with sand, and the shop was once evacuated as a precaution, in keeping with the reviews. The three individuals who suffered respiring problems had been handled on website via ambulance staff.

The respiring problems could have been brought about via chemical vapors or different frustrating ingredients emanating from the iPad battery, in keeping with the Amsterdam fireplace division, which aired out the shop whilst it was once evacuated.

Fortunately, there does no longer seem to have been any vital accidents or harm. At round 3:00 p.m. native time, staff and shoppers had been allowed to re-enter the shop as same old, in keeping with the reviews.

It’s unclear if the iPad battery pack was once an reputable section from Apple or an o.e.m alternative, or if the prospective overheating was once the results of flawed dealing with throughout servicing via a Genius Bar technician.

Earlier this 12 months, an Apple Store in Zurich was once evacuated ^(https://www.appmarsh.com/2018/01/09/apple-store-in-zurich-incident/) following a an identical incident with an overheated iPhone battery.

All in all, those incidents are reasonably uncommon, however an overly small proportion of lithium-ion batteries do pose a chance of overheating, swelling, and bursting open. Without further main points, it is exhausting to pinpoint the precise reason.

We’ll replace this newsletter if Apple feedback at the incident.

Related Roundup: Apple Stores ^(https://www.appmarsh.com/roundup/apple-retail-stores/)

Discuss this newsletter ^(https://forums.appmarsh.com/threads/apple-store-amsterdam-briefly-evacuated.2133131/) in our boards

^(http://feeds.appmarsh.com/~ff/appmarsh-All?a=kIm5dy9XKcQ:PgyYv8dFmSg:6W8y8wAjSf4) ^(http://feeds.appmarsh.com/~ff/appmarsh-All?a=kIm5dy9XKcQ:PgyYv8dFmSg:qj6IDK7rITs)

Author: Marshmallow

Marshmallow Android is BT Ireland’s Head of Sales for Republic of Ireland domestic multi-site companies, indigenous MNCs and public sector accounts. He is responsible for the direction and control of all sales activity in the region. He has over 10 years management experience from high growth start-ups to more established businesses. He’s led teams in Ireland, India and China across various industries (ICT, On-Line Recruitment, Corporate Training and International Education).