Right now there are handful of multimedia converters available for Linux. It is an free and open-source application that converts to plenty of formats using FFMpeg and avconv. It is written using Python programming language and GTK3 for GUI. Currently has ability to convert more than 100 different formats.
Curlew multimedia converter is around from quite sometime and known to have some extra features such as: ability to show file information(duration, progress, approx size, duration etc.), preview file before conversion, convert part of specified file, attach subtitles to videos, show errors in details if occurs, allow to skip files or remove during conversion process, and fairly simple user interface. It is available for all currently supported Ubuntu 18.04/16.04/14.04/Linux Mint 19/18/17 and other Ubuntu based distributions.
- Easy to use with simple user interface.
- Hide the advanced options with the ability to show them.
- Convert to more than 100 different formats.
- Show file informations (duration, remaining time, estimated size, progress value).
- Allow to skip or remove file during conversion process.
- Preview file before conversion.
- Convert a specified portion of file.
- Combine subtitle with video file.
- Show error details if exist.
- And more.
Available for Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic/18.10/16.04 Xenial/14.04 Trusty/Linux Mint 19/18/17/other Ubuntu derivatives
To install Curlew in Ubuntu/Linux Mint open Terminal (Press Ctrl+Alt+T) and copy the following commands in the Terminal:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:noobslab/apps
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install curlew